Miguel de Leon practices in the area of U.S. and international corporate law, representing clients predominantly based in the U.S. and Mexico, including companies, banks, financial institutions, private equity funds, manufacturers, and high net worth individuals in their activities worldwide.
He has extensive experience in M&A, finance, restructurings and general corporate matters, particularly drafting commercial agreements, such as services agreements and agreements related to the purchase of products. He has advised clients regarding enforceability of agreements in the United States and Mexico. Mr. de Leon has also assisted companies in implementing data protection policies.
Mr. de Leon’s industry experience includes financial technology, banking, retail, manufacturing, and industrials. He graduated from the Monterrey Institute of Technology and Higher Education, cum laude, in 2009. He holds an LL.M. in Corporate and Financial Services Law from the National University of Singapore Faculty of Law and an LL.M. in Global Business Law from New York University School of Law. He also holds a Certificate in Corporate Law from the Comillas Pontifical University in Madrid, Spain. He is admitted to practice law in New York and Mexico and is fluent in Spanish and English.
Areas of Practice
- Corporate Law
- Private Equity
- Corporate Financing
- International Law
Represented StoneMor Inc. in its sale of $400 million in senior secured notes to Jefferies LLC as initial purchaser in a Rule 144A private placement transaction; the notes were guaranteed by more than 125 StoneMor subsidiaries operating in 24 states and Puerto Rico.
- Advised The Lovesac Company, an American furniture retailer, in its reorganization and a $10 million bridge offering with different classes of stockholders.
- Advised The Lovesac Company in its S-1 Initial Public Offering on Nasdaq as well as in its reorganization, bridge offering and renegotiation of debt with creditors.
- Represented iAnthus Capital Holdings, Inc. in its acquisition of CBD For Life, a top-ranked producer of innovative CBD-infused wellness, self-care, and beauty products.
- Represented Stonemor Partners (NYSE: STON), a leading owner/operator of cemeteries and funeral homes in multiple states and Puerto Rico, in its $447.5 million recapitalization transaction, consisting of a $385 million private placement of 9.875% Senior Secured PIK Toggle Notes to various noteholders and concurrent private placement of $62.5 million of liquidation value of Series A Convertible Preferred Units of the Partnership to Axar Capital Management.
- Represented CIBTvisas, Inc. in its acquisition of the Mexican immigration firm Enrique Arrellano Rincón Abogados, S. de R.L. de C.V. as part of its strategy to expand into Latin America.
- Advised Avkem International in its acquisition of Comercializadora de Productos de Sodio, S.A. de C.V. by a Mexican subsidiary.
- Collaborated in the divestment by Hill International, a global construction company, of its Construction Claims Group which was sold to Bridgepoint for $147 million.
- Represented Yonder Music Inc. in its receipt of a preferred equity investment of $10 million by Axiata Digital Services Sdn Bhd, one of the largest telecommunications companies in Asia.
Represented MLP Ventures and real estate developer J. Brian O’Neill in the closing of a $144.6 million debt and equity financing to fund MLP Ventures’ purchase of the former GlaxoSmithKline Research & Development Center in Upper Merion, Pennsylvania, and to fund future operating costs, renovations, and leasing costs for prospective tenants moving into the center.
- Represented Four Springs Capital Trust in expanding its three-year revolving credit facility from $75 million to $125 million.
- Represented an affiliate of Deerfield Management Company, L.P. in a $540 million acquisition financing for the purchase of an office building in New York and for the redevelopment of the building as office building with lab space; financing included three mortgage loans and a mezzanine loan.
- Represented CDN Oilfield Technologies & Solutions, in its entry into the Mexican market as well as in a $10 million secured first degree financing by Callidus Capital Corporation and a $5 million second degree financing by Computershare Trust Company of Canada.
Drafted mortgages, pledge agreements, notes and other documents for perfecting security interests in Mexico under various cross-border finance transactions.
Performed due diligence on behalf of Middleby Corp., a global leader in the industry of foodservice equipment, for the acquisition of the Mexican subsidiary of Cozzini LLC, a manufacturer of food processing equipment with more than $30 million in annual sales.
Represented Cott Corp., a leading supplier of private label drinks, in the acquisition of Cliffstar Corp. in a US$500 million cash deal that made Cott one of the world's largest retailer brand beverage companies.
Collaborated with the placement of debt on the NYSE through four separate private offers by CEMEX S.A.B. de C.V. to exchange outstanding perpetual debentures for new senior secured notes denominated in Dollars.
Assisted in drafting and submitting 20F and 6F Forms on behalf of CEMEX S.A.B. de C.V. to the US Securities Exchange Commission.
Advised Chinese company Golden Dragon Precision Copper Tube Group Inc., during its business start-up in Mexico with an investment of US$100 million.
Drafted share purchase agreements and formalized liens on shares through the corporate records of Mexican companies, on behalf of J.P. Morgan Chase.
Conducted negotiations with the Mexican Ministry of Defense on behalf of an aircraft completion company for entering into an aircraft completion agreement for the new Mexican presidential plane.
Advised a company in the construction industry for placing debt in the Mexican Stock Exchange under a debt authorized program of $70 million.
Mergers and Acquisitions/Private Equity
- New York
- New York University School of Law, LL.M., Global Business Law, 2012
- National University of Singapore, Faculty of Law, LL.M., Corporate and Financial Services Law, 2012
- Universidad Pontificia de Comillas, Certificate in Corporate Law, 2009
- Instituto Tecnologico y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey, Licenciado en Derecho (Law Degree), cum laude, 2009
- Duane Morris LLP
- Associate, 2015-present
- Greenberg Traurig
- Associate, 2013-2015
- JATA – J.A. Treviño Abogados, Monterrey, Mexico
- Associate, 2010-2013
- New York State Bar Association
- German (intermediate)
Co-author, "Developments on Potential Outsourcing Reforms in Mexico," Duane Morris Alert, April 2, 2021
- Co-author, "Potential Outsourcing Reforms in Mexican Legislation," Duane Morris Alert, December 22, 2020
- Co-author, "The United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement: An Overview of Key Tariff Preference Claim Procedures," Duane Morris Alert, October 5, 2020
- Co-author, "Mexico’s Auto Industry Outlook in the New Era of the USMCA and COVID-19," Duane Morris Alert, August 7, 2020
- Co-author, "Uniform Regulations Provide Key Guidance on How to Comply with the New USMCA," Duane Morris Alert, July 8, 2020
- Co-author, "COVID-19 Pandemic Causes Compliance Delays for Mexico's Anti-Money Laundering Law," Duane Morris Alert, April 20, 2020
- Co-author, "Personal Data Protection During the COVID-19 Health Emergency in Mexico," Duane Morris Alert, April 8, 2020
- Co-author, "Mexico's Federal Government Declares COVID-19 Health Emergency," Duane Morris Alert, April 1, 2020
- Co-author, "Mexican Federal Government Suspends Activities in Wake of COVID-19," Duane Morris Alert, March 27, 2020
- Co-author, "Mexico's Ministry of Health Issues COVID-19 Restrictions," Duane Morris Alert, March 27, 2020
- Co-author, "Mexico's Judicial System Responds to COVID-19 with Partial Shutdown," Duane Morris Alert, March 23, 2020
Co-author, "Mexico's Supreme Court Strikes Prohibition on Private Consumption of Marijuana, Paving Way for Legalization," Duane Morris Alert, November 8, 2018
Co-author, "New Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership Signed by Member States," Duane Morris Alert, March 9, 2018
Co-author, "Practical Manual of the Advantages and Opportunities of the Investment Promoting Corporation (SAPI)," Joint publication between the Mexican Stock Exchange, JATA and PricewaterhouseCoopers (publication date pending)
- Author, "The Mexican Law to Fight Money Laundering," JATA article, November 2012
Co-author, "New Rules for Immigration in Mexico," JATA article, November 2012
Co-author, "Construction," Getting the Deal Through, International Bar Association, Edition 2011