Walter J. Greenhalgh practices in the areas of commercial litigation and bankruptcy law, insolvency law and chapter 11 corporate and commercial reorganization.
A past chair of the executive committee of the Bankruptcy Law Section of the New Jersey State Bar Association, he has been an officer of the Section for more than ten years. He is a founding master of the New Jersey Bankruptcy Inn of Court, established in memory of Judges Vincent J. Commisa, D. Joseph DeVito and Daniel J. Moore. He is board certified as a Business Bankruptcy Law specialist by the American Board of Certification.
A member of the American Bankruptcy Institute, Mr. Greenhalgh is also a member of the American and Hudson County bar associations and the Debtor-Creditor Section of the Essex County Bar Association. He has lectured extensively on the federal bankruptcy law in bar association and continuing legal education programs. In 2009 through 2021, Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business included Mr. Greenhalgh in its listing of leading bankruptcy lawyers in New Jersey.
Mr. Greenhalgh is a 1974 graduate of the Seton Hall University School of Law and a 1971 graduate of St. Peter's College.
Areas of Practice
- Commercial Litigation
- Bankruptcy Law
- Insolvency Law
- Chapter 11 Corporate and Commercial Reorganization
- Represented Liberty Healthcare Systems, Inc. (Jersey City Medical Center) in acquisition of Christ Hospital.
- Represented the Debtor Roseville Senior Living Properties, LLC in a Chapter 11 proceeding.
- Represented various creditors in Bayonne Medical Center chapter 11 proceeding.
- Represented various creditors in Hudson Healthcare, Inc. (St. Mary's Hospital) chapter 11 proceeding.
- Represented creditors in Beth Israel Hospital Association of Passaic chapter 11 proceeding.
- Represented the Official Unsecured Creditors Committee of Solomon Dwek.
- Represented the Official Unsecured Creditors Committee of Able Laboratories, Inc.
- Represented the Official Unsecured Creditor Committee of Jersey City Medical Center, one of the largest public hospitals in the State of New Jersey.
- Represented various creditors and equipment lessors in the United Health Care Hospital matter.
- Represented the Equitable Receiver and Liquidating Trustee in New Jersey Car Group Insurance Trust, multiple employer Health Welfare Benefit Plan.
- Acted as Assignee for the Benefit of Creditors in Advanced Community Health Care, a nonprofit visiting nurses organization.
- Represent the chapter 7 Trustee for Kiwi Airlines.
- Represent ZETA Consumer Products Corporation AKA Tucker Housewares in chapter 11 proceeding.
- Represented the chapter 7 Trustee for Upsala College, New Jersey.
- Represented successful proponent of Plan of Reorganization to acquire Emerson Radio Corp., one of the largest volume consumer electronics distributors in the United States, in its chapter 11 proceeding.
- Representing the group that acquired Lana Lobell Farms, Inc., one of the leading standardbred breeding farms in the United States
- Represented a major secured consignment creditor in the Zale bankruptcy proceedings in Dallas, Texas with claims in excess of $23,000,000.
- Representing a group of four lending institutions, whose total mortgage portfolios exceed $81,000,000, in the case of In Re: Capital Resources Corporation, presently pending.
- Representing proponent of plan acquiring Penn Jersey of Pennsylvania, one of the larger automotive retail store chains in the Philadelphia, Delaware area.
- New Jersey
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- Supreme Court of New Jersey
- Seton Hall University School of Law, J.D., 1974
- Duane Morris LLP
- Partner, 1996-present
- Robinson, St. John & Wayne, Newark, New Jersey
- Partner, 1989-1996
- Kleinberg, Moroney, Masterson & Schachter
- Partner, 1979-1989
- Lecturer, Federal Bankruptcy Laws, Bar Association and Continuing Legal Education programs
- Litigation Counsel of America
- Fellow, 2015-present
- American Bar Association
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Essex County Bar Association
- Debtor-Creditor Section
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Bankruptcy Law Section
-- Executive Committee
--- Former Chair
-- Trustee, 1996-present
-- Member, 1986-present
- Hudson County Bar Association
- Founding Master, Bankruptcy Inn of Court
- Association of Insolvency and Restructuring Advisors (AIRA)
- American Board of Certification - Board Certified - Business Bankruptcy Law
Honors and Awards
- Recipient of the Manny Katten Award, 31st Annual Bankruptcy and Restructuring Conference, Association of Insolvency & Restructuring Advisors, June 2015
Listed in The Best Lawyers in America, 2015-2021
Listed in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, 2009-2021
Listed in New Jersey Super Lawyers, 2005-2021
- Listed in Super Lawyers, Corporate Counsel Edition, 2010
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®
No aspect of these rankings has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. Further information on methodologies is available via these links.
- American Board of Certification
- Certified in Business Bankruptcy Law
- Member Board of Directors
- Secretary to Board of Directors
- "Lease Rejection Damages Under the Bankruptcy Code Cap," New Jersey Law Journal, February 20, 2017
- "Violation of the Automatic Stay Seeking to Enforce Arbitration Award Against Nondebtor: Beware, You May Be on Thin Ice," Duane Morris Alert, May 13, 2016
- Contributor, Duane Morris New Markets Tax Credit, Affordable Housing, and Super Storm Sandy
- Contributor, Duane Morris Banking Law Blog
- Co-author, "The 'Barton' Doctrine Is Alive and Well," New Jersey Law Journal, February 8, 2016
- Co-author, "New Jersey Bankruptcy Court Upholds Trademark Licensees' Rights to Use Trademark Despite Licensor's Bankruptcy," Duane Morris Alert, November 26, 2014
- "District Court Clarifies Distinction Between Burdens of Proof on Stay Relief and Adequate Protection in American Airlines Bankruptcy," Duane Morris Alert, May 3, 2013; republished in Bankruptcy Law360 and New York Law360, May 13, 2013
- Co-author, "Third Circuit's Credit-Bid Decision's Impact upon Secured Lenders," Duane Morris Alert, March 25, 2010
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Co-chair, "Introduction and Opening Remarks," 14th Annual Advanced Restructuring & Plan of Reorganization Conference, Association of Insolvency & Restructuring Advisors (AIRA), New York, November 2, 2015
- Co-chair and Presenter, "AIRA's 13th Annual Advanced Restructuring & Plan of Reorganization Conference," New York, November 17, 2014
- Speaker, Spring CLE Symposium, Livingston, New Jersey, May 22, 2012
- Moderator, "Interplay of Foreclosure Law and Bankruptcy Law, Annual Convention of the New Jersey State Bar Association, Atlantic City, New Jersey, May 14, 1999
- Speaker, "Corporate Governance and Chapter 11 Proceedings," Sixth Annual New Jersey Bar Association Bankruptcy Law Section Bench Bar Conference, East Brunswick, New Jersey, April 17, 1998
- Speaker, "What's New in Bankruptcy Law? Update on Recent Consumer Business Issues," Hudson County Bar Association/Foundation sponsored program, Jersey City, New Jersey, November 21, 1996